So I figured that my next post should be a description of the photos and explain what is going on in each of them since my parents decided to make comments on all of them and ask questions regarding the majority. I will start with the ones posted in Pictures 1 and end with the ones posted in Pictures 7. Hopefully I am able to answer the majority of questions and explain a little bit about whats going on and what it is.
Pictures 1:
There are 2 pictures with the airplane in them. That is the rundown airplane that we flew on all the way from Colorado to Kuwait. It made stops in Bangor, Maine and Shannon, Ireland before eventually landing in Kuwait. The 4 guys in the one picture are all E-6s or Staff Sergeants that are in my Platoon. The 2 pictures with the USO sign are from the concert we were able to attend while at Camp Beuhring that featured the Zac Brown Band. The pictures are slightly out of order I recognize that.
Pictures 2:
The rugby ball were in a crate for sale in the Ireland Airport, I figured they were pretty Irish so I took a picture of them. The dogs in that picture were "Soldier Greeter" dogs. The Bangor airport is a big refueling terminal for flights going in and out of theater and the USO there hires greeters. These dogs belonged to a couple that were there greeting us. They were very playful and raised everybody's spirits. The license place is of the bus that got us to Camp Beuhring, it said Kuwait on it so I took a picture, plus it turned out pretty neat with the shadow. The other picture is obviously of my weapon with the M320 Grenade Launcher attached to it.
Pictures 3:
Here you see a picture of me and also of the Paladins that I control. Since the other Platoon pushed out to a different location, I am in control of all 4 M109A6 Paladins and their support vehicles. The other picture of me is while I am inside the MRAP simulator that I described in an earlier post. The Tabasco sauce was on every table in the DFAC and I thought it was funny that all the writing was in Arabic. The final picture of an enlarged jersey barrier was along the road we took to get out to the Artillery Range. The graphics on the barrier were pretty funny so I took the picture while on a moving bus.
Pictures 4:
Here you can see the Paladins loaded up on the 18 wheelers that we used to bring them to and from the range and how they were transported out to Basra. Also that is a picture of the drivers, they were oh so willing to be photographed. The tower is the observation post that the observers called for fire from. The picture of the 3 LTs include myself, LT Huth the HHB XO, and LT Pivito a LT from Alpha BTRY 3-29.
Pictures 5:
Now for the camels. I was able to get up close and personal with the camels and they were very calm and it wasn't a problem at all. Here you can see a baby and also the Bedouin with his travel camel. He did not speak English at all and I described that whole situation earlier. Camels are pretty cool and it was neat to see them in person, an arms length away, and not just at the zoo. The other picture is of the FDC crew that we took out to the range with us. It includes my chief, computer operator, radio operator, and myself.
Pictures 6:
These pictures include more of the men that are in my Platoon. There are 2 different gun crews and I am in the picture with one of them and my Platoon Sergeant (the bald white guy) is in the other picture. In addition we have a range control vehicle which was funny because the range control people were all Americans that come over and do short stints. They are just as difficult to work with as the ones at Fort Carson. Their truck was pretty neat though. The other picture is of me and 3 technicians that work at Camp Beuhring. They came out to support us in case we had any mechanical issues they were already on site.
Pictures 7:
The first picture is of the tent that housed about 60 of us. It was cramped and not good hygienically having us all that close together breathing and spreading germs. A lot of people got sick including me. That is part of the process I guess and what everyone has to deal with. The middle picture is of the actual MRAP simulator with the vehicle inverted to simulate a rollover. We had to climb out after they spun it a few times. The final picture with all the HMMWVs in it is of all the vehicles we trained on while in Kuwait. Every picture posted is from Kuwait. I just wanted everyone to get a chance to see what an Up-Armored HMMWV looks like with its turret.
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great explanations - thank you - and they will probably forestall your getting questions from many others. We are so happy to hear the pleasure in your writing with respect to your interactions with your men, your colleagues and the "others"! I would never have guessed what the upside vehicle simulator was and I am glad you grew to like roller coaster rides! Me, I will stick with "It's a Small World" and be happy! Well, we have gone from in the 30 degrees at night this week to expecting to reach 90 degrees tomorrow afternoon, which means we will have a thunderstorm this weekend at some point. We are going to Sea Bright with Phyllis and Jerry on Saturday and as we stand at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean we will throw kisses and hugs across the expanse to you, so be sure you are facing the Gulf to catch them around 9:00 pm your time!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom
Hi, thanks for the clear descriptions and enthusiastic explanations. I actually got most of the photos right, except for the two MRAP photos. The one in Pictures 3 of you in the MRAP simulator, I thought was you in a HUMMWV; and the one in the Pictures 7 simulator, I thought was a big air blower to keep the tent inflated! When you get a chance, we would all like to see one of the MRAPs assigned to your platoon. We would also like to get a photo impression of your Basra base (COB or FOB?), if permitted. We love you and know you will be careful with all that equipment, especially outside the "wire". Dad
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ar - those are great descriptions! I can picture you in the moving bus taking a photo of that barrier out of the window. Mom and Dad did a pretty good job guessing at what the equipment was, even if Dad did think that second photo was a bubble-blower tent-inflator! The photo of the camels with the baby is beautiful - they are all different colors. They don't look very interested in moving, however. It is really good to see you in the photos, along with some of your men. I like that the USO brought you greeter dogs at the airport. Are there any dogs or cats, or pet camels, at the Basra base? What kind of food are they giving you to eat? Are you still training with the guys who protected the PRTs before you, or did they leave? Love you, brother.
ReplyDeleteHey buddy! Thanks for the updates on the photos...I guessed most of them right haha. Glad to see you are doing well and enjoying the camels. I think you should get one and keep it as your mascot.
ReplyDeleteImpressive pictures, especially that really tanned buzz-cut small guy. Now we know what you look like in your real life. Those pictures let us know what your environment is all about. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteSteve, Debbie, Jordan
what a treat to answere the phone at your house and hear your voice!! you sounded as if you were next door instead of 10000miles away. and how the call brightened your parents! we were invited for a bbq w/ the olives- great summer weather sitting outside and then the best of all- your call!! we are thinking of you every day- we sent a box- hope that nothing ruptires because of the heat- love aunt nancy and uncle edward
ReplyDeleteArron, Great pictures of your outfit. Saw yur Dad driving your great pickup lately. No way is he giving that back to you upon your return. Only problem is it takes up 2 parking spaces in the YMCA parking lot. Take care and be safe.
ReplyDeleteKevin Martyn