Saturday, April 24, 2010

Welcome to Basra

I knew my welcome to Basra would not be a relatively "warm" one since we are in this country fighting a war but I did not figure in the least that I would be forced to get used to IDF as soon as the first night in country. IDF stands for in-direct fire and what the means is we got hit with a rocket and mortar attack. To make the situation more interesting, I was in the shower when it happened. Now I dont want anyone to panic or worry, the rocket was a dud and landed in no mans land between the fenced border and where the actual COB is located and the mortar was shot out of mid-air by out IRAM system. Nothing at all happened, but it still was a quick realization that tension still exists and we all have to be on our toes at all times. As it turns out, other than in a bunker or a hardened building, the shower is actually the next best place to be because of the steel and wood roof that houses the sink, shower, and toilet stalls. Lucky me. It was pretty funny to tell you the truth because myself and one of my Staff Sergeants were in the showers and we hear the rocket launch and then explode and I said out loud, "was that a rocket attack on the FOB?" Then he replied "Yep." I just shrugged my shoulders and said "wow thats pretty cool, the first day we are here and we are already getting attacked." Then of course my Platoon Sergeant came running into the structure yelling for me to find out if I was scared and nervous so he could laugh at me. It was a good way to start off the deployment in Iraq especially after the fact that we got delayed a day and a half leaving Kuwait to even get here!

So onto better news. Let me describe what it is that I am doing here in Basra, Iraq and what my sole mission will be for the next year. I am the Platoon Leader for a PRT patrol. PRT stands for Provincial Reconstruction Team. The PRT is made up of DOD Army COLs and US State Department personnel. They can be teams that consist of up to 6 guys and I am their personal security detail and escort anywhere and everywhere they go. Pretty much the way things work is that the State Department has identified jobs that need to be done in and around Basra and people that need to be aided and assisted in doing their jobs. There are close to 100 different things that the PRT does and when they need to do anything, I am the guy that takes them there. A lot of them sound like they will be pretty interesting and exciting so I am looking forward to the job that I will be doing not to mention the fact that it will keep us very busy and make time go by quickly. Tomorrow I roll outside the wire for the first time (I cant say where Im going) and Im really excited to get out there and see what it is I will really be doing. They have given us about a week to takeover from the unit we are replacing and do combined missions with them so that we can ease into everything. Originally we were hoping for a longer turnover period of time but I guess we will have to do the best we can. It is pretty ironic how Peter works for the State Department and with the relationship the family has with the Clinton's, I now too am indirectly working for them both.

I was hoping to have internet in my living space but the living conditions are a lot worse than what we were expecting. We are living in massive 80 man tents that are subdivided into 10 x 8 man sections. There is no internet but at least we do have twin beds and dressers to unpack into. There is not internet or phone lines so I am still forced to go to kiosks and centralized locations to use both. That is really annoying. Until I can get internet on my computer I wont be able to put up pictures and paint a better picture of what its like here. Soon I will however sign over for my official fleet of vehicles which will consist of 6 HMMWVs (M1151s) and 3 MRAPs (which kind is TBD). That will be pretty cool! So as of now we have a lot going on and a lot more to come. All of my guys are doing well with the exception of the living conditions and the fact that supplies out here are very limited. We are all excited to start doing what we came here for and now that we are in Basra it is very soon before we take everything over and start showing our worth.

14 comments:

  1. Hello Aaron
    That story of being welcomed in Basra with a dude rocket attack also gave us a jolt. Thanks for sharing the story with us.
    Please be careful at all times, including when you go out to a kiosk to find an internet connection.
    We love you. Meme and Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a welcome to Basra! It certainly sounds scary to me. If you can do so, we would like to know what is an IRAM system. Your mission of protecting the PRTs sounds very interesting, and you will certainly meet a lot of interesting DOD and DOS folks. We did not know you had 9 vehicles; do you now have a full platoon under your command? Also, we thought you were on a FOB, but your address is COB. Could you explain the difference to everyone? Too bad about living conditions. However, now that we have your address, supplies will start coming your way! We know that you and the men are anxious to show your worth, and have full confidence in you. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully I wasn't as shocked to hear your "welcome". Thankfully everyone is ok and now you are prepared for any future "attacks". I am sorry to hear about the living conditons, it is such a disappointment, but you have had worse so I am sure you will be ok. I can't wait to see pictures, especially the camels! I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. I miss you and love you. Be safe. Love, Abby Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tati, Luckily, we were prepared to read about the attack as Abby kindly gave us a heads up, though your turn of phrase makes it less scary - so no need to worry about us. We are all in tune with each other. It makes us so proud that you, Meryl and Peter are all serving the best interests of the Nation. If you meet Secretary Clinton, it won't be fore the first time but it will sure feel differenly than riding in the van during the 1992 convention in NYC city on Chelsea's lap! Keep the posts, emails and calls coming whenever you can, remember we are "on" 24/7! Love always and drive safely, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a welcome! we are so relieved that you are ok and take it all in stride- it is very hard for us to understand how much you are in harm's way- we want think only the best and perhaps that sugarcoats the picture. i'm sorryt about the 80 man tent w/out internet and phone- still hoping the by july you get the best arrangements possible. do you still have the dust/sand storms? terrible tornados in arkansas and mississippi- edward ok but jennifer's family in little rock quite worried. today is ethan's 2nd birthday and they couldn't travel because of the weather. we think of you everyday- love aunt nancy and uncle edward

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Debbie, Uncle Steve and JordanApril 26, 2010 at 3:35 AM

    Hi Aaron,
    We read with interest all the details of your "welcome." Sounds dangerous, but we know you are a trooper and seem to be taking it very well! But you have an enormous responsibility being in charge of all those people! Here on the other side of the world we are very busy with a lot of stuff. Jordan's wrapping up his first year of middle school. It's very interesting and YES, ironic, that you, Meryl, and Peter are all working for the State Dept. and so aligned with Hillary. Seems to make sense.

    We think of you a lot, and of course, our main concern is for your safety. We hope the time goes quickly.

    Love,
    Debbie, Steve and Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi little brother,

    You be careful out there. Your blog post is a reminder that you need to stay aware all the time. You're going to be great in your job as Platoon Leader for a PRT patrol. How was your first experience outside the wire? I hope you can tell us what it was like. Please also post more about what kinds of supplies are helpful to send.

    We're thinking about you,
    Love,
    Meryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aaron,
    It was truly amazing reading about your first day in Basra. First of all let me say what an outstanding choice you have made and thank you
    for choosing to defend our country. That being said, our thoughts and prayers are with you always.
    I said a prayer at my Women's Spirituality Group the other nite as well at Synagogue this weekend to keep you safe and watched over including your men you are responsible for.
    Always be aware and conscious of your surroundings
    and look before you leap.
    All our love,
    Rhonda and Richard Hey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Aaron,

    Glad you arrived and are safe. Funny story, but let that be the last you see of rockets! Now that we have an address, we can send a package for you to share.

    You are always in our thoughts & prayers.

    Barbara, Lou, Chelsea & Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aaron,
    Your Dad sent me the link to your postings, and I have to say, it certainly is amazing to hear about Iraq first hand. I applaud your courage and thank you for being there on our behalf. Keep safe and I will keep you in my prayers. I look forward to reading more about your "adventures (?)" in Iraq.
    Cecelia Basile

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that things get a bit duller for you. in these situations, boring is good. take care

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there - be careful - stay alert and know how proud I am of you. Love, JANEL

    ReplyDelete
  13. FYI to all readers: Aaron has told us that many of his men do not have the support from him they need, so we have been sending game items, such as yo-yos and puzzle books, and snack items - no chocolate, cream or jelly items - for him to distribute and the men have been very grateful. A few of you have indicated that you would get cards/letters from friends and/or school children for them. If you do, just send them in bulk to Aaron and he will distribute. We have been using the number of 24 for everything we send for distribution. If you have any questions, please email me at rfliebowitz@hlgslaw.com Thank you all for your love and support for Aaron, his men, and us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oops - they have great support from him - they do not have great support from home!!!!!

    ReplyDelete