Sunday, April 18, 2010

Leaving on a Jetplane

Tomorrow is officially my last day in Kuwait. Im excited to finally get out of here and move on to the destination that we will be based out of for the duration of my tour. It will be nice to figure out some sort of living situation whether its temporary or not so I can unpack some things and we can all get ourselves situated. I finally got an address to where I will be and how you all can send letters and packages. Below is the format you need to get it to me in Basra.

1LT Raymar, Aaron
HHB 3-29 FA
Unit # 104
COB Basra, IZ
APO AE 09374

I talked to someone in the USO here in Kuwait that knows one of the people that works at the USO in Basra and they said the facilities are pretty good. Hopefully its just as decent as what we have here in Kuwait. Im sure you all will be reading about it in a few days time when I get boots on the ground and regain my bearings. This is what we came here to do so we are all anxious to get over there and find out what is needed of us. I know the first few days will just be an adjustment and we will be meeting up with leaders in the unit we are replacing. That process will take time.

I want to officially congratulate Abby on her pinning because I know that was today and Im very sorry that I cant be there with you and your family. I hope my parents being there is a sign that Im thinking about you and we all are proud and support you and everything you have accomplished. I love you very much sweetheart.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you so much Aaron. You were missed so much and I am sorry that you could not be there. I had an excellent time with your parents, I love them soo much too. I am glad that you are going to get to Basra and kind of settled. That means you are one step closer to coming back! I know you will do an amazing job and I am proud of you. I miss you very much. I love you,
    Abby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tati, I love the titles you give to your entries - it shows you were listening to all the oldies music I love to play! We know that getting going will be strenuous and that arriving will be eye-popping, so enjoy what you can about your experience and do what you always do that makes you such a good leader of the pack. The pinning ceremony was very moving, the pinning coming from an ancient tradition of healers; and then the students were given a replica "genie's" lamp in porcelain, reminiscent of the type of lamp Florence Nightengale (the mother of nursing) used. The speeches and particularly the slide show about the simulation lab and disaster day were interesting and brought to life for us some of the enormous challenges facing the nurses of today. We were "qvelling", so proud of Abby and all she has accomplished. It was a privilege to share the ceremony and celebration with her immediate family who all send their love to you. I will be sending a package out tomorrow. Love always, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aaron, I wish you a good flight. It should be a short one, from the map. The pinning was moving and terrific; we were happy to be included. I took many photos, and hope to have Gerri email them to you from the office on Monday, since I do not have a clue. We also did a video hello in the restaurant, which should be on the way to you too. Good luck moving into Basra. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi LBB,

    GOOD LUCK TODAY!! You're finally getting going - I'm really happy you'll be able to get a bit more settled and start the job you went to do. I'm looking forward to hearing how the travel goes and all about your new location and experiences in Basra. I heard the pinning was great, and I know Mom and Dad were giving Abby hugs for you. Abby, congrats!!! We're all really proud of you both. Love you, Meryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. i spoke w/ your mom as they were leaving the pinning- she said it was beautiful- lindsey's pinning ceremony from nyu only garnered it was nice. they all knew that you were w/ them in spirit. we are excited for your move to basra- i thought that you were headed to the capital. i guess the weather will be the same- hot and hotter. we are hoping for good libing conditions so that you can feel settled and perhaps even get an office. hope that you are continuing to keep hydrated and feel good- there is so much a head of you- much love-aunt nancy and uncle edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaron,
    PS - double checking the address even though I have already used it - why still "3-29 FA"? And is the ending "IZ"? XO, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a safe trip and an easy time getting settled. We are also so proud of Abby.
    I want to make you laugh -- yesterday, I told Perri to wipe her face (she had food on it) and she said "Mom. Don't worry about me. Just worry about yourself!" She's 7 going on 17. But you just worry about YOURSELF and be safe. We love you.
    Janel, Jason and Perri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Aaron, I am helping Meme post her comment. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aaron. I have been reading you blog with a lot of interest. You are at your point of destination now, so more exciting things to do are waiting for you .
    Looking forward to your next blog.
    Love, Meme

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Aaron
    read your blog with a lot of interest. good luck in your assignment.
    love, meme

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Aaron, I am still helping Meme to learn, so I have to do what she does. Dad

    ReplyDelete