You know its hot outside when that hand sanitizer that is attached to all the porta-pottys comes out as hot as the water you use every time you shave in the morning. The last few days it has gotten to the high 90s and even eclipsed the 100 degree mark I think a few times. Sometimes its not too bad when there is a nice breeze that cools you off but otherwise its a hot wind that swirls the sand into your face and eyes, thats not fun at all.
Yesterday I had to run an M4 Range. To try and describe the chaos that preceded that actual running of the range would be like trying to verbally explain to someone how to navigate a maze without looking at a diagram of the actual maze. First of all, every time a range is run there are 2 people in charge, the OIC and the RSO. The OIC is the officer in charge and is responsible for doing all the planning and preparation, writing the order, and delegating responsibility. The RSO is the range safety officer who is responsible for safety on the range, making sure everybody is doing their job and soldiers are conducting their activities to standard, making sure water and gatorade and ice and MREs have been packed up, and ensuring their are constant radio communication between OIC, RSO, and Range Control. I was supposed to be the RSO. Our Battalion Commander ripped apart the other LT and had him up all night the night before writing and rewriting his order because he was being very picky with what he wanted except the problem was, nobody up at Battalion supported the range and gave any time of guidance or instruction as to what the intent was. It made things so much more difficult than necessary. In the end, the range was conducted but there were a ton of hiccups and it was much more stressful than it needed to be.
Moving on, I am kind of sad because I missed getting to spend this past weekend with Abby and my family. I wish I could have been home for Passover and spent time with everyone that came into town. I dont want to say that I am homesick because thats not what it is, its more the fact that I miss getting to talk to Abby every night and hear from my parents every few day, I miss going out and doing things with Craig or just watching TV, I miss the normalcy of life back in Colorado. Driving my truck, going out to eat or cooking a dinner feast, it all seems so foreign to me and I havent even been gone that long. Hopefully the Passover Seder went well and everyone enjoyed themselves. Just know I miss you all and wish I could have been there too.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
it is so hard to be separated from those that you love; but this ability to share thoughts and receive so many written comments has to help fill the void. if you can count to the end, then it gets closer each day. you'll be home and in every one's arms soon- for now we all hold you in our hearts.
ReplyDeletethe range exercise sounds so frustrating- do the lower ranked soldiers feel the disorganization as much as you do? how much longer before you move into iraq? i am wondering about the heat- who is monitoring that everyone takes enough hydration?
we are in florida so missed all holiday celebrations- weather on the east coast has been perfect. we love and miss you- aunt nancy and uncle edward
Your posts bring me right there, seeing and experiencing what you are. Everything is brought to life, seeing all through your eyes. Jordan is going to speak to his social studies teacher about the class following your blog. Afterall, they could never get the expience you describe from any school book!
ReplyDeleteWe did miss you at Passover, along with other family members not present at the table. Abby is as lovely as could be and always thinking of you.
Try to stay cool and I look forward to your next post!
Love--Barbara
Hi, we missed you too during Passover, and you were the topic of much conversation. You would have enjoyed our Macedonian guests. Too bad about the stress of setting up the range; I hope the range itself went well, and your troops are good marksmen. One of these days you will have an exercise that unfolds the way it is supposed to. I echo Nancy's thought: if you can do so, please let us know how your men are holding up. We all love you. Dad
ReplyDeleteDayenu! It has to be sufficient for us to be able to hear each others' voices when you are able to telephone, to read each others' messages when you can send and receive them, and to know that you and we are never far from each others' thoughts. Just know that in participating in gaining the freedom of others you are Joshua redeming us from our enslavement. Dayenu!
ReplyDeleteLove always,
Mom
Hi Aaron,
ReplyDeleteWe were in DC for 4 days, and just saw your blog for the first time. Also the first time I saw your writing style, which is quite excellent and touching. Too bad we missed the Passover, and Meryl as well, since she had a ton of work to do during our overlap day. We are wishing you well. Know that we are all thinking of you.
--
With Love,
Steve, Debbie, and Jordan
The Krumholz clan sends their love, we were thinking about you during Pesach as well
ReplyDeleteUncle Alan
Hey brother, is it humid as well as hot? I hope not. Stay hydrated! It was wonderful to hear your voice on Saturday. I know everyone loved talking with you and hearing what's happening over there. It must seem like a world away, especially because what you are going through is so intense, but we were talking about you and thinking about you, and always are. Love, Meryl
ReplyDeleteAaron,
ReplyDeleteWe missed you so much at Passover. Perri played up in your room with Abby for a while. Perri brought Abby a present - a candy bar with her name on it! We are so proud of you and all that you are doing. We miss you. I am thinking about you every day. You are loved and admired! Love, Janel (and Jason and Perri!)
Hey Aaron,
ReplyDeleteI know that the reality of this deployment is setting in, but you have always been able to adjust to new surroundings. It sounds like you are doing exceptionally well. I want you to know that I miss you very much and look forward to hearing from you soon. Just think of all of us back home you love you very much and use that to get through the tough times.
I love you,
Abby xoxo
Aaron - Just wanted to let you know that all of the Plasners are thinking of you! - Sam Scott Jack and Matt :)
ReplyDelete