Enough with all the negativity its time to tell some stories about good times and funny experiences that have happened over the last few days so that I can raise the spirits of all back home. Throw in some comedy and one story with sarcasm and we have a fun blog post.
Story #1 - Yesterday we had the random opportunity of going on a PRT mission to an orphanage on the outskirts of downtown. This orphanage has been given a great deal of money through the PRT program in order to rebuild their facilities and give the kids that are staying their an abundant opportunity to live life to the fullest. The kids their were amazing, so full of energy and life it was a sight for sore eyes. The facilities were pretty ncie compared to those that you see throughout the city and the kids are for the most part in a better situation there then if they lived anywhere else. I feel that the kids growing up in that orphanage will have more oppurtunities and better experiences because they are there than the majority of the kids everywhere else in the city. They had amazing playgrounds and educational centers, they all spoke random words in english, which was a surprise, and they all seemed genuinely happy. Kids were running around in superman and spiderman pajamas after they saw us all arrive and they would walk up to our guys and ask for piggyback rides and try to hang off their arms because they thought we were super strong. It was really funny. A lot of my guys got worn out by the little kids because they had so much energy. It was finally an enjoyable and rewarding mission to go on. They loved us.
Story #2 - One of the things that my guys like about me so much is the fact that I dont like to let them do things for me and if they are doing something or have to suffer through something, I am always there with them sharing the pain. For instance, about a month ago I decided that I didnt want to lead the patrol so I had someone else do it and I became the gunner for the whole mission. I experienced what they do when they are stuck up in the gunners hatch all day and have to deal with the heat and the dust and no air conditioning. Back to present day, the last 2 days we went out on missions I did a similar thing but this time I drove the HMMWV. It was a lot of fun. They though it was hilarious because the LT was driving and I had a SPC as the truck commander. Plus they go to do something and get some experience in a role they had never done or ever thought they would do. It was fun for the whole platoon because they all got a hick out of me driving the HMMWV, making it overheat by accident, and almost get in an accident with a motorcycle guy pulling a watermelon cart. Anything I can do to make them appreciate me, right?!
Story #3 - So last weekend I guess it was announced that we are no longer doing combat patrols in Iraq. My guys decided that they wanted to boycot all missions and not go outside the wire because every mission that we do is most definately a combat mission. Its funny because the two big dogs in charge of Iraq and the USA both told the American people that everything we do is Iraqi lead and we just assist them. Not only do they assist us because we are forced to have them escort us through the city due to the SOFA agreement, they dont run anything and most of the time go in the middle of our convoys because they dont have the same protection equiptment. We laugh at the situation everytime we roll out. So i hope none of you really bealieved that we no longer were doing what we have been doing this whole time, because we still very much are. That was the sarcastic story.
Story #4 - Now to brighten the mood one last time. I got a package today from Janel, Jason, and Perri that had tons of great things in it. The funny part of the story is that they packed it all in a massive box and filled the box with packing peanuts. I dont know if anyone has tried pulling things out of a box full of packing peanuts but the static electricity forces them to stick to everything and its impossible to get them off. At first I was being really careful trying to keep them in the box and pull things out one at a time. Finally i just dumped it all out on my floor and it looked like I was in a ball pit full of packing peanuts. They ltireally got everywhere and I couldnt clean them up because they clung to everything. Guys in the tent were just laughing at me trying to get them all back in the box. That packing peanuts were totally kicking my butt. It was funny, you had to be there.
P.S. Pictures to Come ...
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Tati, remember the change in my google posting name which I cannot seem to fix. Anyway, it is wonderful to read about your experiences at the orphanage, with your relationship with your men, and with your bunkmates. With respect to the kids in the orphanage, I can still see Perri cuddling against you to watch some cartoon after Grandpa's funeral. With respect to your men, I can still see you swimming with a brace on your foot so that your high school swim team would not be disqualified in the county meet, and friends from other high school teams helping you out of the water cause you could not put weight on your foot to get out on your own. With respect to your bunkmates, I can still see you at 4 years old in an airport, pulling your toys out of your travel backpack and within minutes engaging every other little kid in the waiting area in playing with you! Those of us who think, listen and read for ourselves understand that the announced changes in terminology are in fact not changes in reality, and we fully admire, respect, honor and fret no matter what PRTs are called. Please make sure that you, your men and your bunkmates know how much we love you all. And, I am sure that your stories will inspire all of us to be more civic minded in our lives. Our good news since the last blog include your cousin Lindsey's wonderful wedding to Kyle, the birth of your cousins' Scott and Samantha's baby Michael, your cousin Jason's new job with a green home building company, your sister's wonderful publicly announced programs, and many graduations of loved ones from college and medical school. Love WWW, XO, Mom
ReplyDeleteOops, I forgot to write about one more glad tidings from home - the adoption of the adorable Ms. Wrinkles by Abby! We had the pleasure of a visit from them this Sunday and Ms. Wrinkles made herself right at home to the delight of all. Hugs and kisses, Mom
ReplyDelete:). Glad to hear you are having fun. Please drive safe!!! Love, Abby
ReplyDeleteso many interesting stories.. is there much chance that the orphans will be adopted? are their us families interested in having these children become part of thier families- so many noncombatants put in harm's way. we would love to see you driving the vehicles. your men are very luicky to be under your command. we know that you are doing the best possible for them. we are looking forward to the photos- much love- aunt nancy and uncle edward
ReplyDeleteDude I've seen you drive in the US, so I don't even want to think about you driving through Iraq haha. Gald to hear that things are going well and that you are still having fun. I bet the orphanage PRT was a very rewarding experience and I'm glad that you and your guys had the opportunity.
ReplyDeleteTalk to you soon brother.
Hi Aaron, delighted to read your latest. You are a born leader. putting yourself in your men's places and sharing their experiences and difficulties! I am sure they appreciate and love you.
ReplyDeleteI love your sense of humor. You are learning so fast not to believe everything you read!
Please keep safe.
PS. Saw Abby and Wrinkle last Sunday. Both are doing well, Wrinkle delighted everyone.
Love, Meme
Hi Aaron, sorry for the late comment, but at least I beat the "pictures to come"! Thanks for the uplifting comments about the orphanage. It is heartwarming to read how your men - our soldiers - related to the orphans. Sometimes the press does not focus on what we have accomplished in Iraq, and on the good impacts we have had on at least some people's lives. I also enjoyed the story about soldiers switching roles in your platoon. The new perspectives that you - and the men with whom you switched roles - gained, may come in handy in a pinch, to say nothing of the comradery you always look to build with your men. As for the change in missions on September 1, we are all glad the Iraqis are there, and as you vividly wrote in an earlier blog, trying to act like the Americans. That's how they are learning to govern and protect their own country, and hopefully, when we are gone in a year or so, the lessons will stick, and love of country will overcome love of sect. In the meantime, please thank your men for their service, stay alert - and don't let any styronuts stick to you! Love, Dad
ReplyDeleteFun stories. Thanks. I guess when I send you a package in the next few weeks, it will have packing popcorn instead of peanuts. We all just got back from vacation after picking up Jordan from camp. He was gone for 3.5 weeks this time and liked it a lot.
ReplyDelete--
Love, Steve, Debbie, Jordan
Dear Aaron-Thinking of you this Rosh haShanah morning with love. We all wish you a very safe, productive New Year filled with health, happiness and love.
ReplyDeleteBarbara, Lou, Chelsea & Jordan